Dry skin is an extremely common skin condition caused by not having enough moisture in the epidermis, which is the most superficial outer layer of the skin. When the skin becomes dry, it can feel rough, itchy and tight and may even cause sensitivity. It can also become flaky and be more prone to wrinkles and fine lines.
What causes dry skin?
Dry skin can affect anybody. While some people are born with naturally dry skin, there are other factors which may contribute to dry skin such as:
- Hard water
- Hormonal changes
- Cold weather
- Harsh soaps
- Not drinking enough water
- Taking very hot and long showers
How to treat dry skin?
Hydration is very important when it comes to treating dry skin. When your body is dehydrated, your skin gets dehydrated too. A minimum of 2 litres of water a day is a must. Certain foods can also help keep your skin nourished and hydrated like – flaxseeds, walnuts, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, watermelon, avocados etc.
Taking too many showers in a day or bathing with very hot water will strip your skin of the natural oils and eventually make it dry. Take warm showers instead and moisturise with nourishing body oils and body lotions straight out of your shower.
Dry skin is usually sensitive and it is best to check ingredients of products which you are using to ensure that they are packed with nourishing oils, butters and soothing agents.
Setting a routine for yourself is the best way to manage dry skin. Start your day with a tall drink of water and follow the steps below for smooth and manageable skin:
- Exfoliate dry skin with a gentle product such as our Strawberry & Shea Butter Body Polish (to be used twice a week only)
- Cleanse your skin with a gentle and hydrating cleanser/body wash/natural soap.
- Moisturise as soon as you are out of the shower with a nourishing face moisturizer and follow up with a few drops of face oil to seal in the goodness..
- Moisturise the rest of your body with a good lotion/body oil.
- Protect your lip by applying a natural lip butter to keep them from getting chapped – our Raspberry Lip Butter is made with natural and nourishing oils like Almond oil and Shea Butter that help keep your lips smooth and moisturized.
- Use a sunscreen everyday to protect yourself from sun damage even if you are going to be indoors.