Clean Makeup Brushes
Why should you be cleaning your makeup brushes?
We are sure that most of you have your daily makeup routine down. But do you have a makeup brush cleaning routine? Washing them every other month or so simply isn’t enough. You will never want to use dirty makeup brushes again after you learn the following about them.
- Unclean brushes attract bacteria which may lead to unwanted breakouts and acne.
- Dirty brushes tend to irritate the skin.
- They not only accumulate harmful ingredients but also contaminate your makeup.
- Buildup of dirt and oil on makeup brushes can cause rashes called dermatitis.
- Clean brushes last longer.
- Brushes which are clogged with existing product will not give you a smooth & flawless application.
How often should you clean them?
Dermatologists suggest that you should clean foundation and concealer brushes atleast once a week to avoid buildup of product. Eye brushes and other small brushes should be cleaned atleast twice a month.
How to clean your makeup brushes?
- Soak the brushes in warm water along with some gentle shampoo.
- Swirl your brushes gently in this solution.
- Gently massage the tips of the bristles in your palm.
- Rinse the bristles thoroughly.
- Squeeze out the excess moisture with a clean towel.
- Re-form the brush head back into its original shape.
- Let the brush dry with its bristles hanging off the edge of a counter, which allows it to dry in the correct shape. Never let your brushes dry on a towel — the bristles can turn mildewy.
When should you throw out old brushes?
It is time to dispose your makeup brush when the bristles start to fray, shed, or lose their shape. If your brushes become too pinched or squashed, then they will just not give you the desired effect that you are looking for.