How to layer your skincare the right way
Did you know that if you apply your skincare the products in the wrong order, there is a chance that they may not work for you? This is because they may not get the chance to penetrate your skin, so there’s no point of a having a skincare routine without the right steps.
Whether you’re following a simple routine that’s 3-4 steps or a more elaborate one, the order in which you apply your skincare definitely matters. With the growing number of skincare products in the market, it can be confusing to figure out the right routine for you.
Here are a few tips that may help you build your perfect skincare routine that takes your skin to the next level:
1) Start with a clean face – If you are starting off in the morning, then wash your face with a gentle and non-stripping cleanser our gentle Lychee & Seabuckthorn Face Wash to get rid of any excess oil or sweat that may have accumulated on your skin while sleeping. If this is for your night routine, then double cleanse your face, starting with a cleansing balm/oil and then use the face wash to get rid of makeup, sunscreen, dirt, oil and sweat.
2) Start with water-based products – The key is to go from the lightest consistency of products to the heaviest. Once you have a clean face, spritz a hydrating toner to help return the skin’s pH balance and for a blast of freshness like our Eucalyptus & Tea Tree Face Toner. Another plus with using a toner is that it will keep your skin damp with is great for the skin to absorb the rest of the skincare products that you will follow up with.
3) Add in a serum – People often get confused what comes first, serum or moisturiser. Well, its always a serum first as they are thinner in consistency. If you want to keep your routine simple, then you can jump straight to the next step. However, if you want a slightly elaborate routine then add a serum that will help tackle your skin issues such as wrinkles, oily skin, dull skin etc.
4) Use a light-weight moisturiser – People who have normal/oily skin and those who live in hot and humid weather will love a gel-based moisturiser that is light weight and does not make the skin greasy or sweat like our Olive Squalane & Cantaloupe Gel Moisturiser. Using a light moisturiser also primes your skin for the next step. You may want to skip then next step, but trust us, it will just completely transform your skincare game if you include it.
5) Add a facial oil – Whether you have dry skin or oily skin, every skin type will benefit from a light facial oil as it will not only nourish the skin, but it will lock in all the moisture that you added in the steps above to your skin. Face Oils like our Watermelon & Black Cumin Face Oil will help pump your skin with anti-oxidants and control excess sebum production in your skin. All this while giving you healthy, radiant and plump skin. We highly recommend this step to be added as the last step to your night routine if you feel apprehensive of applying oil in the day time.
6) Don’t forget sunscreen – This should be the last step of your day skincare routine. It is important not to skip this step as you need to protect your skin from UV rays emitted from the sun. It reduces the risk of skin cancer as well as protects your skin from aging too quickly or worsening any existing skin pigmentation.
That’s all for a healthy and quick skincare routine with the right steps for layering. Just remember one key tip – If you make it too complicated or long, then you won’t end up doing it. So, keep it simple folks!